Thursday 14 June 2012

Self care plan update

Soooooooo almost halfway into my self care plan course and I have learnt a lot. Here's a summary of what we have been through so far:

Listening to our inner voice telling us what is right and not listening to what external voices or society tells us

Learning to read the signs of what happens when we don't have self care in our lives and how that compares to when we do

Different types of self care: what makes you feel incredible is unique to you and will be entirely different to those around you.

Self love what that looks and feels like

Self compassion what that looks and feels like

The barriers (internal and external) that are getting in the way of practicing self care, self love and self compassion.

Phew! I have felt entirely comfortable with all of it (even blissful) until the last couple of emails which have been about barriers. I have learnt that I am not very good at asking for help it makes me feel squirmy (a technical term.) I have also learnt that I am no where near ready to leave E in care with someone else besides hubby and other family, I understand that this is not a must do when it comes to self care but its something I have figured out. I am now having to take a look at my life and figure out what can be shuffled. I know I need self care especially at the moment as I have not really been enjoying my day to day life but I'm finding it difficult to let go.

I feel such an emotional tug of war. I know when I am practicing self care I feel much more peaceful and content. I have more patience for those around me and have more love to give. So really on an intellectual level I know it benefits everyone when I take care of myself but I have this overriding desire to be there for everything I don't like feeling like I'm missing out. Which leads me to my next dilemna.

A friend recently brought up a term FOMO (fear of missing out) in regard to Facebook, it was said as a joke but it got me thinking. I check Facebook incessantly I feel like its my window to the outside world some days and I always want to see what's happened even if its only been an hour since I last checked (ok half an hour.) I do use Facebook in a positive way. I share inspirational quotes and this blog and try to use it to make the world a better place but is it a waste of time? It does stop me from living in the moment a lot and I have noticed that if I am having a particularly challenging day I check Facebook even more as if I am trying to escape what  going on around me. If I didn't have it what would I do instead? Maybe I would have more time to practice self care if I stopped Facebooking.

What to do? I think I will deactivate my account (yep I just hyperventilated a bit) and will blog about how things have changed since doing it and how it makes me feel. I will look at it as an experiment. How many days? Mmmmmmmm I don't feel like I could even make one day so lets make it 21 days. I have heard that it takes 21 days to establish a new habit so hopefully I can make it. I literally feel so anxious even writing this wow I am addicted!. How will people contact me? How will I know about upcoming social events? OMG so scared but that is exactly why I need to at least try. Not healthy to have something have such a hold on me.

OK I'm going to write my last status update for 21 days letting everyone know what's happening and then deactivate.

See you soon
L xox

1 comment:

  1. Lucy, I know so much what you are saying! It's hard to find the time to look after yourself. Recommend the book Mother Me by Katie Brown, she's a yoga teacher down here, I think you'd really get what she's on about.

    And as for Facebook, yeah... I have a uni assessment due on Monday that I am struggling with, so have been checking FB incessantly all day instead. Such a stupid and unproductive use of my time. Perhaps I should do the same as you, but argh, too scary!

    Ange x

    ReplyDelete