Tuesday 3 January 2012

Confessions of a first time Mum

So I'm just going to come out and say something that I feel needs to be said....................................... Some days I hate being a Mum. It's not that I hate my son in fact its because I love him so much that these days are particularly hard. The days where for 3 months he has been getting more and more difficult and more and more whiny and clingy and then he won't sleep, he won't play on his own and he cries every time the slightest thing goes amiss. Everything you thought you knew about your child and parenting goes right out the window and you are left wondering what to do.

It is soon after that I get mother guilt, thinking along the lines of maybe if I just sacrificed myself a little bit more, played with him more or performed some kind of magical spell while standing on one leg and hopping he would stop being upset. Mother guilt sucks.

Then I get worried, worried that this will never end and he will stay this way forever.

A huge reason for me wanting to express al this is I feel so much of it is behind closed doors. So much of motherhood is romanticised and when you ask other mothers how they are doing they seem to have it all under control. Now I don't know if I am the only person on the planet with a child that has two heads (the angel and the devil) but most of the time, I feel like I am. Its kind of like mental illness, people don't want to admit that sometimes it feels crap because if they admit it it means they are weak. Well if that makes me a weak Mum I want everyone to know so that maybe someone won't feel so alone.

And another thing my son does not sleep through 7pm to 7am, nor has he ever except for one blissful week or two where he did. In fact not only has he never slept through lately he has gone back to waking up 3 times again. I admit this because sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough because my baby is still waking and I won't leave him to cry it out.

One other thing that sometimes sucks when your a Mum is that you become invisible all of a sudden. No one asks you how you are and generally you get the briefest if any greeting at all, when you see people. I have become so invisible that when i chopped all my hair off recently my Mum didn't even notice as she was too busy paying attention to E.

My house isn't perfectly clean all the time in fact its not perfectly clean most of the time and some weeks it is a complete mess. I let my baby fall asleep on the boob (when he is co operating) and he is in our bed at least a few times a week. I never let him cry it out although I can usually tell the difference between a real cry and just fussing and I am ok with leaving him then. Oh and one last thing I am completely making this parenting thing up as I go along. Most the time I have no idea what I am doing, except for what my instincts tell me and what feels right in my heart.

Now I understand that it was my choice to have this child and I get that it is a privilege to bring up a child but sometimes it would be nice if it was just about me again. No one ever really says "hey you are doing an incredible job," you don't get a day off, and you don't get paid for what you do except in gummy smiles, which I admit are pretty special .

Yes of course being a parent has its amazing rewards and you do get a lot out of it but this post isn't about that. This post is about the dark days, where you are knee deep in it and you can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and then finally when you do see a light turns out it is really just a train heading straight for you!

So I dedicate this post to all the Mums out there, all you fabulous, exhausted, beautiful souls who even when its the hardest of days will still get up and do what's necessary to care for your children. Because we are all doing the best we possibly can in each and every moment of this journey. Oh and you are not invisible to me, in fact you're light and love shines brightly and encourages me to keep going when it all seems too hard.

L xxx

5 comments:

  1. Dads feel like this as well. So much pressure to be text book anything now days it's no wonder we're all basket cases. Our daughter hasn't slept properly in 9 months and my partner, even though she is one of the toughest women I know, cracks under the pressure and so do I. Be the parent you are and know, as long as you are true to yourself, you will raise a child with the same core values.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE doing an incredible job, and you will never be invisible to me. I think the truth of parenting is in the stinky dark messy house days, when then that little face smiles up at you and you know that you are really ok after all.

    It is a horrible thing sometimes, motherhood. And often it feels so competitive (which is ludicrous) which adds to no-one owning up to the truth: some days suck...especially when you are so tired.

    Falling asleep on the boob is what DD8 always did as a bub, and DD6 screamed if we didn't leave her by herself (truly). All babies are different and all babies grow so quickly that the old best thing becomes the worst thing. It is hard to keep up. You are wise to listen to your heart...it is where E is most connected to you.

    Sounds to me like you need an hour or two off for a massage or swim or a cuppa by yourself. Wish I could be closer and help out : (

    Lotsa hugs from your Auntie Tracey. Love you. Proud of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello he who is him, thank you for offering a male perspective obviously its hard for me to see it from a male point of view being a woman ;-) I'm sure tho that the anguish that Dad's feel on these days is much the same.

    Hi Aunty! I'm all good i have started reading Buddhism for mothers which is really helping. I was actually fine after writing that post (and having a good old fashioned cry) i just really felt that i wanted to express this side of motherhood and the responses i got from friends was just phenomenal. It is so rewarding to write this blog and it is certainly one of the things that keep me sane. Love your blog too i have been finding it a fascinating read. Will be down at Mum's at the end of the month so might catch up with you then. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy Buddhism for Mothers too!
    See you soon,
    love Txx

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. honest. real. I've been there, and thought these thoughts MANY times before! Remy has tested me to my limits, continues to do so, and challenges all the patience and control that is (somewhere) inside me. Sometimes I want to scream, sometimes I want to cry, sometimes I want to crawl into fetal position and stay there for a few days, and go back to the days of veging on the couch watching back to back reality tv. But it DOES get easier, and your hard work WILL pay off, as Eddie grows and settles into his little world. Some babies are tough. Period. No matter what kind of mother you are, some kids are harder work than others. I have described my son as an asshole before, to other people! Some laugh, and nod their heads, others don't quite know what to make of me. I love him to the moon and back, but some days, even the fruit of your loins can make you want to tear your hair out. Nothing wrong with that! I celebrate your honesty! And I adore my 'little asshole'! hahahah!

    ReplyDelete