Thursday 19 January 2012

The other side of the coin

So a couple of weeks back I wrote about the dark side of being a mother and the daily struggles that I face. In the name of balance I want to share with you the light filled days of joy, as well as the endless rewards of being a Mum.

My son's smile is the best thing in the world to wake up to. In fact any time he smiles it is the best thing I have ever seen. He really does smile too with no agenda no falseness just pure joy radiating from every pore. It is so contagious and yes even when he is in a particularly nasty mood and I am at my wits end his smile is enough to make my heart melt and my face and eyes light up to reflect his happiness.

Cuddles. Best. Cuddles. Ever.

Breastfeeding, I know not all Mum's get to do this for whatever reason, but I love it. It is the one thing that me and E share that no one else can do. I love the bonding that it entails and the closeness between us. Oh and now I really understand what my boobs are for, they aren't just a sexual object they feed a human being and at one point they were the only nourishment he was receiving. I feel so proud of this.

It's the little things that he does that mean so much. When he looks at me with wonder as he tries to grab my hair or stick his finger in my mouth and/or nose he is just so enamoured with the world. He really looks at this world we occupy as fascinating and wonderful, he doesn't see it through the often cynical negative eyes of an adult and to observe this is truly a gift. It reminds me to slow down stop and really look at what is around me because when you look at it through a child's eyes it is very special.

The way he looks at me when something surprising happens or he does something new just warms my heart. He really says to me "Mum look what i just did" with such pride and excitement written all over his face.

I will be a witness to all his "firsts," first tooth, first birthday, first step, frst time he crawls and I swear to god as he reaches each milestone I just love him more and more. Just the thought of all the firsts I am going to see fills me with so much excitement and joy.

I feel endless, unconditional, wonderful all consuming love for this little being. Love I have never experienced before and love that fills my heart to bursting and just when I think I can't love anymore well I can because it just gets stronger and stronger. Amazing.

I get to be a kid again, this and this alone has to be pretty much the best part about being a parent. I mean seriously how cool is that? I get a do over, I get to live my childhood again. Just think about that for a minute. I will play games with him, paint pictures, read stories, go to the circus, plays, musicals and watch as his face lights up at Christmas, Birthdays, Easter and special events. Wow. I feel so privileged and so lucky knowing have been blessed with all this.

There you have it the other side of the coin :-) and just in case you were wondering, yeah it does make the shit days worth while!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment