Thursday 7 June 2012

Life for sale!

Our house is finally on the market. How does this make me feel? Well a whole lot of mixed emotions really.

This is the house that took care of me while I was pregnant, the house that I brought home my tiny newborn son to. Our first house that we purchased and the house we have poured blood, sweat and tears into. It has witnessed laughter, love, anger, tears, joy, despair. We have cooked many a delicious meal in this house and drunk infinite glasses of tasty wine under its roof. We have added to it subtracted from it and I hope improved its worth. I love this house for all these reasons and more.

I am a homebody. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a bit of a hermit. Home is my sanctuary, it is where my comfort lies. I can be totally myself at home, stripped back to who I really am at heart. I can contemplate my feelings, nourish my soul, watch my relationships grow all from the comfort of my own home.

I feel a bit sad to let all of this go but also excited for the next chapter. I know we have made the right decision for our future. No longer will we have the debilitating mortgage hanging over our heads we will be free to live our lives closer to how we want it to be. I think nowadays the housing market is a joke. The price to live in your own home is exorbitant and first home buyers often get trapped in a downward spiral, paying off their house and never quite getting ahead. I'm not one for regrets but if we could do it all over again we would have done it differently. Instead of jumping in to buy a house when we could only scrape in we would save our money instead and wait till we had closer to a 50% deposit.

Chris and I since making some financial mistakes have listened to and started following the advice of Dr John DeMartini. How Can I Accumulate More Money? is a great article to read if you are interested. His whole philosophy works on the idea that it doesn't matter how much money you earn its all about how you manage it. Since following his advice we have completely changed the way we manage our funds and I know once we start again we will be on the road to financial success.

So if you don't hear much from me over the next few weeks you'll know why. I am absolutely exhausted after running around getting the house ready for our open home but it will all be worth it in the end.

Sending love
L xox

1 comment: