Thursday 17 May 2012

Fabulous to the very end

Again my family has been rocked by sad news. In the midst of a happy occasion we were told that Sunshine Granny had passed away. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I have never had news given to me that felt so sudden and shocking. I felt like we had no warning and I wish I could have said goodbye. Instead I'm going to write down my goodbye and know that Dawnie will hear it wherever she is.

What I know about Dawnie is probably not as much as others but this is what I do know:

I know she adored fashion she was always immaculately dressed whenever we saw her. Even when it was a casual lunch Dawnie was dressed to the nines. She would have furs on if it was the slightest bit cold, always had on something bright and cheerful and of course the jewels. Never have I seen so many beautiful rings, necklaces, bracelets, earrings and shiny trinkets and you would be guaranteed Dawnie would have as many on as she could. Her hair was always done and her make up perfect. I always felt special because she would get so dressed up to see us.

She loved her puppies. Her beloved Benji and Belle two Maltese pups. They weren't exactly the most disciplined of dogs and they certainly ruled the roost but she told me many a time that they were her babies and she didn't know what she would do without them. They slept with her every night snuggled up and were her constant companions. They were such a positive thing for her.

She loved my son as well. She was always so excited to see him. Clapping and laughing and bringing him gifts. Exclaiming how beautiful he is. She was the same with all her great grandchildren and any baby that came across her path. She delighted in everything that they do and had many stories of when she was a young mother in Papua New Guinea.

The woman was an incredible cook so many delightful treats were shared around Dawnie's table and she loved to feed you. She always had a satisfied look on her face when others were eating her food. Her cakes and cookies were divine and I was envious of how she was such a natural.

She was so many things to so many people, she was kind and generous and she loved life. I will never forget the twinkle she had in her eye, especially when out of the blue she would say something cheeky.

She told me many times that she needed to hang on and stay alive so she could see the babies (her great grandchildren) grow up. I know you wont get to be on earth to see them grow, but hope you can see them wherever you are Dawn. We will miss you very much, you were a very special person with a big heart, you were always thinking of others. Rest peacefully and know that you will remain forever in our hearts.

Love, Lucy, Chris and Edward x 

No comments:

Post a Comment