Wednesday 30 November 2011

Gratitude

Today I want to write on gratitude and how important it is. Practicing gratitude in our daily lives cultivates positivity and also activates the law of attraction.

Law of attraction is very simple and basically means that you attract what you put out so if you are being grateful for what you have in your life you will attract more of the same and vise versa if you're cultivating negativity into your life you will also create more negativity.

Think about those days we all have where everything seems to go wrong. We start the day with something bad happening and then think "it's going to be one of those days" and  then the entire day turns out that way. This may seem like a curse but if you think about it another way if we weave positive thoughts and gratitude into our day we can also create a positive environment for ourselves and the world.

I also believe in Western society we have an ongoing obsession with what we don't have and want as opposed to what we already have. We are forever thinking, I want that new shirt, house, car, bed. We are also always thinking I wish the house would just clean itself, I wish my husband/wife/kid was around more often, I wish I could be like him/her. The list goes on but you get the picture. If we stop for even just one moment in our day and think I'm grateful for: the roof over my head, the food in my belly, the love that surrounds me anything that comes to mind really I guarantee you will feel pretty darn good about yourself. If you really can't think of anything start with being grateful for your breath because we really take this simple yet crucial need for granted. There is no life without breath!

I currently practice gratitude by having a chat with my husband at the end of the day by asking him "what are you grateful for today?" He has his turn then asks me. If he isn't around I just ask myself and list the things out in my head. There are a myriad of ways you can practice gratitude in your daily life, you can keep a gratitude journal where you list even just one thing per day or even a week of what you are thankful for, you can look in the mirror and ask yourself, you can blog about it, you can ask your partner as I suggested above. The possibilities are endless so get creative.

One of the best things about gratitude that I have found is when you feel you have had an awful day. If you stop and think during the course of the day what you are thankful for then you quickly figure out that it really hasn't been that bad after all.

So to finish my blog this week I want to share what I am grateful for today:

My breath
My health and my loved ones health
My house
The beautiful sunshine
My baby boys smile
My baby boy
The sleep I got last night
The fact I get to do what I love every single day
My husband working hard for us
My able body mind and spirit
The wonderful people in this world
My car
Our financial wealth

I could keep going but will stop there. Honestly though it is such a simple exercise and requires less effort than meditating, exercising, eating well and all the other things we scold ourselves for not doing so give it a try for a while and let me know how you go.

Oh and for those interested here is a link to a gratitude meditation: http://www.chopra.com/agnilight/nov09/podcast

Love and light
Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment