Wednesday 8 May 2013

Run as fast as you can

Over the last 6 months or so I have started to include running in my exercise routine and it has taught me so much. I don't run huge distances or particularly fast, I'm not interested in running in competition against anyone apart from myself, but it has always been a goal for me to be able to do it, and now I do the rewards are incredible. So here is a list of some of the benefits I have received;

1. Its a microcosm for life. No matter the distance I end up doing there are always points where it feels really challenging (particularly the last 500m!) and running teaches me strength to get through these points. So like life we all have hard days, weeks, months and years and running has taught me to push through this pain. Its like a little sample of all the ups and downs in life. The pain from running for a while and then the elation when you achieve your goal and the pride at seeing what you are capable of. If you can do it in your running session you can carry that attitude into your everyday life.

2. Fitness and strength, this is an obvious one but worth noting!

3. I have epiphanies! Ideas, inspiring thoughts all seem to flow when I'm running.

4. Its another form of meditation. You have no choice when it gets tough to keep concentrating on your breath, or the thought in your head going over and over about how you can do it (mantra). So its a great way to meditate and exercise at the same time! Win win!

5. No matter where you are at in your fitness you can always challenge yourself more. The options are endless but also if you're only just starting out and just do short runs you will feel just as good as if you are experienced and do a longer run. The main thing to remember is not to compare yourself with others, keep it in the forefront of you mind that this is just for you.

6. Finally you feel great afterwards. The endorphins are pumping and your sense of growth and pride is amazing! So get running what have you got to lose.

Love to all
L xx


  

No comments:

Post a Comment